Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Courts rule in favor of religious schools receiving govt aide
So, first, if this case was rendered moot then this ruling should never have occurred. It sets a bad precedent when they do this. It also just shows how much the SCOTUS is a political entity when they are unwilling to make a decision on a moot case (see the NY firearms case) in one instance, but willing to in another, likely because there is an agenda at play for the justices. Roberts is the swing vote on these sorts of things, and I have no doubt that with the NY case he was trying to not drag SCOTUS into the quagmire, while with this one his ideology took control because it is a less controversial case. By rendering a decision on a moot case, this is judicial activism.

As for the decision itself, I don't disagree. First, though, we need to think about what state funds end up going to private schools. It isn't just money going directly to these schools, it also includes tuition assistance money, or things that crop up in programs like school choice/voucher programs. That is state money that is being used. So if a state were to institute these sorts of policies, it would limit the ability for students to choose the school they would go to with those funds. Now, I personally think school choice/voucher programs are misguided efforts in education reform, but that is a whole other conversation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Courts rule in favor of religious schools receiving govt aide - Belsnickel - 07-01-2020, 07:33 AM