Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll have a little bit of the LSU offense in our playbook
(07-06-2020, 12:41 AM)McC Wrote: They may not have openly said it, but isn't changing the hell out of it basically admitting it?

A wise man learns from his mistakes and there's never anything wrong with imitating what works.

Exactly.

(07-06-2020, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have heard this sentiment a lot, but isn't the "playbook and play-calling" a bit like the defense last year:  It got better as the year wore on?

The offense had no running game and once Ross was injured and they had him and Green both on the sidelines, the passing game wasn't going to be the same.  The offensive line struggled early (also largely due to injuries) in both run blocking and pass protection.  Basically, nothing was working on that side of the ball.  Then, they made adjustments and the rushing attack became one of the better ones in the league.   This helped the defense not be on the field all the time.

I understand early on the offense really struggled, but wasn't that more of a product of injuries on both the offensive line and the WR position?  Based on the talent they had healthy, I thought once they pulled Finley that the play calling was pretty solid.  

I really didn't see much improvement.

first 8 weeks: 15.5 ppg - 317.3 yards per game
last 8 weeks: 19.4 ppg - 328.9 yards per game

That modest improvement mostly came from the last two weeks, when we did the dead cat bounce against two of the worst teams in the league (Miami and Cleveland). If that's what we consider improvement, that's some pretty low standards.

The run game did finally pick up in the 2nd half of the season (although the defense was still mixed to put it very kindly).

I guess you could say the offense was better late in the season when they put Andy back in, but still, our only good offensive outputs were against Miami and Cleveland (twice). Was that us "figuring things out" or just facing some really bad defenses?

Keep in mind, the Browns were terrible on D over their last 4 games, and Miami had the worst defense in the league last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We'll have a little bit of the LSU offense in our playbook - Shake n Blake - 07-06-2020, 03:53 PM