Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens if..?
I tried to do a little research on this the other day. There's a couple of things I picked up:

-Players will not be paid their game checkes (bulk of their salary). They'll be paid their bonuses. (Signing, workout, roster, etc.)

-Fee agents waiting to finalize deals will most likely either be put "on hold" or their deals will be reneged and they will be released back into the free agency pool.

-If there is a season: the owners have proposed putting 35% of player salary into escrow, to be paid at a later date, to help offset losses. The player response to this has not been good.

I'm not sure about the rookies. As I understand it, one huge point of contention will be that if they were to finilize their deals would they accrue a year of service. Rookie deals are a huge advantage to the teams for salary cap management and spending. They're only 4 year deals (5th year option for 1st rounders @ top 10 of position). Without a season played the players are going to be hard pressed to win a battle over whether or not this year counts towards their 4 years.

I think things are going to get real interesting real quick. I'm sure there is so much going on behind the scenes that it not being made public. But if there isn't a season then I expect a lot of this to get really ugly.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
What happens if..? - kalibengal - 07-11-2020, 07:58 PM
RE: What happens if..? - Wes Mantooth - 07-11-2020, 08:14 PM
RE: What happens if..? - jfkbengals - 07-12-2020, 11:45 AM
RE: What happens if..? - bengalfan74 - 07-12-2020, 08:25 PM