Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy, Case,Jameis,Josh, Jacoby.
(07-13-2020, 02:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I know there is a (big) place for metrics in sports today.  They can definitely be useful In discussion and debate.  But more often than not I judge players the way I always have, with my eyeballs and a little common sense.

Do these numbers take into account any of the following:  Pressure, Time to throw, WR seperation, Where target ranks in progression, Base Defense, etc?

These numbers can't exist in a vacuum. There's a lot that goes into them when valuing a QB's actual accuray beyond whether a ball is catchable (subjective).  I can almost guarantee that QB's with below average lines throw more "uncatchable" balls than they would if they had better protection.

I'd like to see these numbers for all of Andy's previous seasons.  Has he always struggled with this? I doubt it.  Did his skills magically fall of the map at age age 31? Again, I doubt it.

So while these numbers help to paint a picture they tell me something I already knew: Andy's play dropped big time due to a lack of talent around him. He had an awful line, below average weapons in the pass game, and he was paired with a run game that was among the league's worst through his first 8 starts.

I know he stunk. The question is why he stunk. These numbers don't help in trying to figure that out.

There are definitely a lot of factors going into why Dalton stunk last year. Still he stunk and I have been a Dalton supporter.

Also, if you look at Burrow last season. (I know Fred will attack me for this) Burrow didn't have the best protection and yet he 
still put together the best season of all time by a college QB. Some QB's are special and can make Offensive Lines better than 
they really are. Thank God we got one of those special QB's.

We need our OL to be good in run blocking and okay in pass protection and I think the Offense could be really good with Joe.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andy, Case,Jameis,Josh, Jacoby. - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-13-2020, 02:34 PM