Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Henry deal enough for Mixon?
(07-16-2020, 11:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Derrick Henry signed a 4 year 50 million dollar deal with 25.5 million guaranteed with the Titans yesterday.

Would you give this deal to Mixon if he were to accept?

Locking up Mixon's year 24, 25, 26 and 27 age seasons (assuming it's an extension and doesn't override his current 2020 contract) for 12.5 million per year isn't a fantastic deal, but it's decent value. But going over 10 million per year for a running back is still very steep considering the positional value.

I personally would be more worried about the years than the dollars. I'd prefer a 3 year extension and then a re-evaluation period in which we could choose to either keep him or let him leave.

Since we didn't extend Green, I think getting a deal with Mixon done should be the final remaining priority of the off season, so if this is what it takes I am open to it.

What are your guys' thoughts?

I'd pay him close to that. He is an elite back with all things considered. I think the deal isn't nearly as constricting as some QB/DE deals.

(07-16-2020, 11:15 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No way I give Mixon that much.  Henry is coming off a 1,540 yard, 16 TD season where he averaged 5.1 a pop.  He's also coming off a season where he was the focal point of a team that went to the AFC Championship.

I'm sorry, but the production just isn't there for Mixon to sniff the very top level of pay at the position.  I do believe he's been hindered a bit by playing on bad teams, whereas someone like Elliot benifits greatly from his surroundings.  Still, until Mixon produces elite numbers he can't be paid elite money.

Mixon, IMHO, is worth aound 9 mil per.  8 mil per would be his bottom, 10 mil his ceiling.  Any less and it's a steal, any more and you overpaid.

You have a point but how strong would your beliefs be if he said no? Would you cave and pay more or use our youth? I think you drive a hard bargain but may be correct. How much do we even know about this new offense? Maybe Burrow destroys NFL rookie stats and Gio becomes a star on 3rd down check-downs... essentially eliminating the need for Mixon versus a younger/average back.  I was wrong with TE usage last year, and have no idea what Zack Taylor is planning this year.

If our WR group is as strong on paper as it seems... and Joe Burrow delivers, do we need to cave and pay an elite RB price?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Is the Henry deal enough for Mixon? - CJD - 07-16-2020, 11:09 AM
RE: Is the Henry deal enough for Mixon? - PAjwPhilly - 07-17-2020, 03:22 AM