Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS keeps hold on decision: FL exfelons cant vote unless they pay their fees
(07-17-2020, 10:34 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I’ve never been for lifetime bans against voting, but I do think you should serve your sentence, but a guy who just served ten years is never going big to be able to pay off some giant fine.

Fred’s story about that judge is ridiculous. He’s just costing everyone money.

Which is why they fine them.  Gives the state control over the person forever.

About two years ago (and I may have shared this on the board then too) I was at an event chaperoning for the high school.  I was talking to one boy about police and the legal system because he had an idea that if we just executed half the prison population we could solve the problem of prison overcrowding and unemployment.

Now I chalked this up to 16 year old male under-developed brain (although have 15 years on this board I see some don't ever develop  Ninja) and one of the other chaperones chimed in because he worked at a prison.

(I'm doing this from memory so it's not an exact conversation.)

Basically we tried to explain how once you get in the prison system it is very hard to get out when you are poor.  You get a ticket for no having your car inspected.  You get a fine.  But you have to get to to work to make the money to pay the fine.  So you drive the car to work and get another ticket.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Or you are put in jail, just for a day or two over the weekend while they straighten things out, and lose your job and can't pa the fine so you are put back in jail.  

The list goes on an on and it is primarily the poor and working class.  

Just like the argument is made that we are all one medical emergency away from losing everything so are we one error like speeding or one overzealous officer who says you "resisted" from being locked into a system designed to take your money and your freedom.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS keeps hold on decision: FL exfelons cant vote unless they pay their fees - GMDino - 07-18-2020, 10:07 AM