Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Henry deal enough for Mixon?
(07-18-2020, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And you say it is okay to draft a RB that does not produce as a rookie, but what are the Bengals supposed to do if they let Mixon walk and the rookie the draft can't play right away?

Outside of the ability to find quality backs later in the draft, the free agency market produces tons and tons of value.  The position has been so devalued in recent years for guys that fall outside of the top 5 at the position, and manage to hit the open market.  There's a lot of quality backs to be had a relatively low prices.  There's decent veterans that have been supplanted by younger guys on rookie deals that allowed to walk.

Examples:

Mark Ingram - 3 years, 15 million.  He rushed for 2,812 with 24 TD's (937 yards, 8 TD's average) his last 3 years in New Orleans. He did this with only 23 starts out of possible 48.  Averaged 4.91 YPC, and produced two 50+ reception seasons there.

In his first year in Baltimore he threw up 1,018 yards and 10 TD's in 15 games. Averaged 5 yards a carry.

Lamar Miller - 4 years, 24 million.  Averaged 1,000 yards and 8 TD's his last two years on a bad Miami team. Houston picked him up, and he averaged a respectable 978 yards in his 3 years there, and was suitable starter.

Carlos Hyde - 1 year, 2.8 mil.  The guy who took over Miller in Houston when he went down.  Produced a respectable 1,070 yard, 6 TD, 4.4 YPC season.  Perfect stop-gap.

Frank Gore - After a great career in San Fran, the Colts signed him to a 3 year 12 million dollar deal in 2015.  He gave them 2,953 yards in 3 years there. (More than Mixon's 3 years here)

Karrem Hunt - 1 year, 1.1 mil in 2019, 1 year, 3.25 mil in 2020.  Lead the league in rushing in 2017.  Browns took a chance on him after being released.  We'll see how it plays out, but an incredible value.

To each their own, but if I were approzching the position, and for whatever reason I needed to replace Mixon, I would look to signings like these, and then pair them with a draft pick.  I think that serves as a great alternative when teams are in need of quickly filling the position.

The league is littered with capable veterans that can be had on the cheap.  Legaratte Blount bounced around the league for years on cheap deals and could serve as  stop-gap at any time. Jordan Howard is another perfect example of value.  After averaging over 1,110 yards in his first 3 years the Eagles snagged him in a trade where he was due only 700k in 2019.  He just reupped and carries a cap hit of 4.7 mil for 2020.

Once again, I'm not saying I want these guys over Mixon.  This is simply illustrating why the market for RB is a litte different and cheaper than other positions.  Not only can value be had later in the draft, but there's value in free agency as well.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Is the Henry deal enough for Mixon? - CJD - 07-16-2020, 11:09 AM
RE: Is the Henry deal enough for Mixon? - Wes Mantooth - 07-18-2020, 12:29 PM