Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio Bernard - The Forgotten Weapon
(07-19-2020, 09:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think it's important to consider that if you want Mixon here long term (4 or more years) that it would be beneficial for Gio to become more involved.  While Mixon doesn't have a ton of carries thus far I still think you want to limit them a tad.  It's no coincedence that Mixon posted a career high in carries at 278 this year when Bernard posted a career low.  I think they could ease Mixon's workload a bit, while hopefully seeing the same production stat wise (increased YPC).  I'd rather have Mixon post 1,100 high 4's YPC seasons than 1,500 300 plus carry seasons.

Personally, I'd like to see Mixon at about 250, and Gio at about 100.  And I like to see both of them combine for about 100 receptions.  Those numbers are just estimates but I think they show a nice balance, with an increase in the RB's used in the passing game.

IMHO you can't have limited production from TE position AND from the RB position in the pass game.  If you're tight ends are below average in usage, and you RB's are below average in usage then I think that spells a problems in the modern game.  We have to find a way to get one or other, or preferably both, more invlolved in the offense.

You can't just limit Gio to running draw plays on 3rd and long, and occassionally spelling Mixon just to run in between the tackles.  And he can't be used in the receiving game as only an emergency checkdown.  He needs the ball in space.  Create some plays for him.  Let's open up this offsense a bit and really put a lot of pressure on the D guessing where we're going with the ball.

While reading this, I started trying to think of this from a Bengals perspective:  Utilize Gio more, and you not only potentially extend Mixon's health, but with fewer touches Mixon's next contract might not be what it would have been if he played 16 games how he finished the last 8 of last year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gio Bernard - The Forgotten Weapon - SHRacerX - 07-20-2020, 08:08 AM