Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Simms: 'Burrow will adjust very quickly'
(07-22-2020, 03:09 PM)Tony Wrote: Why are all the analysts mediocre backup QBs. I'd rather take someone like Kurt Warners analysis. Just wandered why these guys like Dan orlovsky and the other Hassleback get these jobs...

I have no evidence to back this up, but I always felt this was the case:

A lot of these guys remained in the NFL for a good long while as back up QBs. One of the primary roles of the back up QB is to help the starting QB evaluate the previous drive and find ways around the defense's game plan etc (you'll often see the back up QBs with the tablets talking to the starting QB when the defense is on the field).

Most of the QBs who have since become analysts or commentators like Chris Simms, Dan Orlovsky, Trent Dilfer, Tim Hasselbeck, and (to an extent) Tony Romo were not physically capable of being long time starters (Romo being the obvious exception). Therefore, they owed their longevity in the NFL to being exceptionally intelligent and understanding of the mental side of the position. And, after retirement, they are able to exercise their one strength as an analyst or commentator.

I'd bet a lot of money that Ryan Fitzpatrick eventually joins them, as he is the consummate "he shouldn't have lasted as long as he has in the NFL but he's just so damn smart he must be a very good analyst" candidate. If not that, then I imagine he'd eventually become a coach.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chris Simms: 'Burrow will adjust very quickly' - CJD - 07-23-2020, 06:54 PM