Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kneeling during the national anthem and claims of disrespect
(07-25-2020, 06:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I wanted to make this point in the other thread, but I can see why it was closed. I’ve mentioned before the officer who I supervise and the discussions we like to have on current events and issues. One of those topics was kneeling during the national anthem.

While I have my issues with Kaepernick, and don’t find him to be an honest actor, I do believe that the majority of people kneeling during the anthem are not doing it to disrespect the flag or nation. But here’s the rub, you don’t get to tell other people that they can’t find the action disrespectful. You can explain that your intent is not to disrespect the flag or nation, but when you’re then told that people still find the action disrespectful you have a choice to make. Keep doing what you’re doing in full knowledge that some people find it offensive and disrespectful or stop doing it. Either decision is fine, especially in a country that still values free speech. But what you absolutely cannot logically do is tell people they can’t, or shouldn’t, find the kneeling offensive or disrespectful.

The officer I haves these discussions with hates the word “boss”. She’s told me she feels that way because the entomology of the word is a Dutch word whose direct translation is “master.”  Now, knowing this I could still use the word boss in front of her and claim I’m not using it in an offensive manner. But because she has let me know she finds the word offensive and why, if I use it in her presence I do so in full knowledge that she will be offended.

So, in summation, kneel if you feel doing so makes the statement you want to make. Just don’t claim it’s not offensive because a large number of people have told you they find it offensive. Your intent may not be to offend, but you kneel in full knowledge that in so doing you are offending people.

Please keep the responses civil guys, I know this is an emotional topic.

The flip side of this is that you don't get to tell others whether or not their actions are offensive and disrespectful if they in no way attack or slander the thing you are saying they disrespect.

What is offensive and disrespectful can be based off of societal or personal standards. In the case of kneeling during the anthem, it's a personal standard and that personal standard has absolutely zero impact on the inherent nature of someone else kneeling. 

When we shift the conversation from the intent and thoughts of the person actually kneeling to those of anyone else, we lose focus and create a situation of false victimhood.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kneeling during the national anthem and claims of disrespect - BmorePat87 - 07-25-2020, 08:45 PM