Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tempered Expectations with Burrow
Leadership, and the ability to bring others to task takes time. True respect is earned, not given.

To each their own, but IMHO the very best thing Joe can do is just do his best to set a good example. Show that he cares and show that he's doing everything he can to succeed. Bring energy and postivity everyday. And I think he can do that. Then, hopefully what follows that is some semblance of success. Rinse and repeat, day after day, week after week.

Then, and only then, can he truly inspire confidence. Then, and only then, can he bring real accountability along with his role and into the locker room.

The NFL at the end of the day isn't all that much different than what occurs with normal workplace politics. I don't care how highly regarded a new hire or employee is, until they actually produce, and do so over a sustained amount of time, people need to see to believe. Respect and admiration builds over time.

I think Joe can be a great player one day, and I hope he can be an even great leader. But it's naive to think that he can step in from day 1 and do so at a greater level than Andy Dalton did after years and years of service. If you think Joe is immediately going to command more respect and be able to go in on guys then you're getting way ahead of yourself.

Admitting that he's not going to command a locker room IMMEDIATELY at a greater level than a veteran Andy doesn't mean that makes him a bad a leader, and it certainly doesn't mean it makes Andy a great leader either. It's just the reality of the situation. Give it time.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tempered Expectations with Burrow - Wes Mantooth - 07-26-2020, 03:23 PM