Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kneeling during the national anthem and claims of disrespect
(07-26-2020, 03:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: But we all do exactly that every day.  How does "x" make me feel is at the core of human interaction.  If you forget someone's birthday you're going to hurt their feelings even though that was never your intent to do so.

But that's part of my reason for asking the question that I asked. Is not standing "disrespectful" no matter what, or is the reason ever taken into account? That is, "x" might make me feel offended, but do I actually think if it's reasonable for the person doing "x", to feel offended to do "opposite of x" based on their rationale? If so, do we then get to the nitty gritty of case by case adjudication, as a whole society and debunk whatever those rationales are, if they are not valid, or accept those rationales if they are? I.e. feeling offended, I think as you mentioned, can be a daily occurrence in mundane life, but does it rise to the level of outrage that we alter our whole lives over it? Like, I will never watch the NFL again, or the name Kaepernick is now something I loathe to the point that my blood pressure will rise? I realize some of this is media build up, but genuinely many people act as if it's an affront to them personally (I'm not referring to veterans, as I feel that's more complicated than I would like to get into). It goes back to your analogy. Is my taking offense due to an action that is an affront to myself personally (a slur, a denigration of my beliefs etc.) the same as my taking offense to another's inaction due to them not feeling what I feel? Hypothetically, should I be equally offended that someone denigrated my core beliefs, vs. someone merely doesn't ascribe to them, the way I do?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kneeling during the national anthem and claims of disrespect - masterpanthera_t - 07-26-2020, 03:41 PM