Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Five Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season"
(08-10-2020, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The word "elite" gets tossed around often and I have always thought of it, numerically speaking, to be within the top 1%.  Semantics notwithstanding, you're description about Buffalo's defense got me thinking.  

If you look at certain "elite" players, they almost always come from really strong units.  Focusing on the defensive side of the ball, I always think of Aeneas Williams as a bright spot in a pretty bleak time for the Cardinals.  I was really glad to see the guy get to the Super Bowl with the Rams at the end of his career, although they lost.  Williams was a stud player on a dud team.  I am not saying that is Bates.  He struggled in both coverage and tackling last year, although I will say he is at least a willing tackler.  

When Bates is surrounded by better talent and able to do his "center field" thing, which is his strength, I see him capitalizing on an improved pass rush and LB play, as well as better play (hopefully) out of Waynes, Alexander, WJIII, and Bell.  In other words, although the improvements are all over the defense, I could see it really impacting the stat sheet for Bates.

Plus, Bates will be coming up on a new contract and this is his third year.  Should be fun to watch.  

I generally equate elite to be top 5. Top 5 QB, top 5 WR, defense etc. Is Buffalo’s defense the 2000 Ravens? No, but they’re one of the best units in the league, and are the main reason that team was so good last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Five Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season" - Nicomo Cosca - 08-10-2020, 09:40 AM