Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-16-2020, 07:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don;t think violence is ever a reasonable reaction to speech.

I've never said they weren't a problem.  I've said they aren't the problem they are frequently purported to be.

There are plenty of posters here who will highlight any such right wing issues.  There aren't many who will do the same with the left.  Your perception is driven by my desire to be equal, not by my political bent.

Not even a little

Nope, I'm just about fair treatment.  You can't vilify people marching while condoning people throwing rocks and explosives.  Well, you can't logically do so.

I'm sure, which is an indication of how far we've fallen that someone striving to be fair and middle of the road is perceived as such.

I take you at your word, if that's the case.  My view is that the Proud Boys deserve what they get, much like your view that left-wing protesters got what they deserved when the feds showed up in Portland.  It's fairly well known that the PBs show up in places to provoke the opposition.  Their entire code is based on literal fighting, as their ranks are established by it.  They may say they are there to protest peacefully, but I have trouble believing that.  The leftists are the dumb sibling that knows mom and dad are going to bust their ass when they get caught hitting their annoying brother for staring at them or putting gum in their hair, but do it anyway reflexively.  It's not justifiable, but the Proud Boys knew precisely what they were doing.  It's the reason they exist.

And for the record, I am not in favor of the left-wing violence, regardless of what the right does. I think it's time for them to go home and has been for awhile. They have damaged much of the legitimacy that the original protests may have had. I say this sincerely, because I think that in the beginning there was a chance for an honest discussion, maybe even a productive one, to be had. Then there wasn't.

Perhaps it's my view from the left that skews things, but I just can't get my mind around people with White nationalist or alt-right views. These were the people I thought we were supposed to loathe as Americans. We've been shown this by our elders for our entire lives, then here they are again. I suppose My judgement comes from the idea that dismissing it's potential danger will just give it more time to cultivate and establish. I personally think it needs to be taken more seriously before it spreads even more widely.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - samhain - 08-16-2020, 07:14 PM