Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-16-2020, 08:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, this was a fun response for me to read because I was a punk rock kid in the late-nineties through the aughts. I came of age during this era and we cared a lot about where the weed, beer, and chicks were. It's always funny for me to think back to this time because I was an Eagle Scout, a gamer nerd, and a punk rock kid all in one package. But on top of all of that I was an activist, even back then.

Punk is protest music. Living the punk rock life is a protest in itself. We cared about social justice, we cared about climate change, we cared about unjust wars. Fat Mike put out the Rock Against Bush tours for a reason. When every generation comes of age there are cultures within it that care about these things. What we're seeing now is more about a greater societal shift, but rest assured that the youth in the nineties were out there caring about this stuff while getting high as shit and ***** their partners.

True, but I found that people define living the life very differently on an individual basis, which is how it should be IMO.  I remember one of my best friends being in an area band that was around for a long time and somewhat known locally.  Not anything great, but he was my friend, so I was at most of their shows.  Dude worked his ass off and is one of the most DIY human beings I've ever known.  He came from not a lot money-wise, and managed to get a really high-paying job in internet security for a big company while he was still fronting his band.  Someone then took it upon themselves to write an article in some local fanzine about how he was an evil capitalist or some such shit, and proceeded to tell people not to got to his shows or buy his music.  This dude was more punk rock than any of those little rich-kid hypocrites.  Half of them didn't need to find jobs like he did because they were still getting money from mom and dad.  Zealots are often the least self-aware of people.

I even recall being lectured about how evil it was to wear Nikes due to their labor practices overseas. Now Nike is one of the biggest proponents of the current social justice movement, lol.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - samhain - 08-16-2020, 09:16 PM