Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 Obamacare state co-op's close down.
The ACA did some good things, but it was not what was needed.  It was a sell out to insurance companies because their made to much money to do away with.

But I would still take the ACA over what the Republicans would have done.  They were in favor of tort reform, but while that is a legit concern it amounts to only a drop in the bucket of health care costs.  The main reason Republicans were in favor of that was that it limited the liability and protected doctors and insurance companies.  

Republicans also claimed that prices woudl go down in people were allowed to "shop" for their health care, but this is impossible.  Try calling a doctor and asking how much an office call will cost.  They can't tell you because it all depends on what the doctor has to do when he sees you.  Plus a patient needs to see the same providers on a consistent basis.  A patient's past history can help a doctor diagnose what is going wrong now.  And finally, their is no time to shop when getting treatment for accidental injuries.

Opening up competition across state lines will not make a huge difference either.  The same corporations already operate separate branches in multiple states.  They are not going to start bidding against themselves to lower prices.

So while I am not happy with the ACA, I'll take it over the alternative.  The people who could afford health insurance were already paying the bill for all the broke people who received treatment, but could not pay.  All those written-off losses were figured into operating costs.  So that was figured into the bills of the people who could pay.  

The ACA prevents people who can afford insurance not getting it then taking advantage of emergency care.  Most young-health working people will not spend a lot on medical care unless they have an accidental injury.  So many of them were willing to take the risk.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8 Obamacare state co-op's close down. - fredtoast - 10-21-2015, 01:50 PM