Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Carlos speaks out about Racism and Bengals
Sounds like Carlos is upset with what a lot of corporations are doing, "woke posturing." Examples include removing Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben symbols. Not that those decisions were necessarily bad things, but it's just not what the protests are asking for. It feels empty of meaning because it, in large part, is.

Too often, corporations will only follow the public sentiment rather than be the ones to push forward. You saw it with Black Lives Matter just a few months ago. For years, BLM was considered a relative fringe movement with less than 50% of people supporting them. Very few, if any, corporations made up that minority support. Then the George Floyd murder occurred, which rocketed BLM's approval rating into the 80s (I believe) and then suddenly every single corporation is posting black squares and BLM hashtags. BLM had become socially sanitary such that corporations could express support without risking a loss of business.

Similarly, official press releases are often dry and non-committal and it seems like Carlos would like to see a more personal touch given. It's true the Bengals donated a healthy amount of money for community activities, so they went further than a lot of corporate wokeness campaigns and they deserve credit for that (which Dunlap gives).

I don't think much will come of this, but I'll never tell Dunlap not to speak his feelings. I also think a lot of this is reverberations from when the Bengals told their players not to kneel during the whole thing with Kaepernick. And they repeated it when they, reportedly, asked Eric Reid "if we sign you, do you promise not to kneel" to which he said no. Those were definitely moments when the Bengals could have been at the forefront of human rights, but chose not to because it wasn't considered socially sanitary yet.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Carlos speaks out about Racism and Bengals - CJD - 08-25-2020, 01:20 PM
RE: Carlos speaks out about Racism and Bengals - IcoHolic - 09-03-2020, 10:12 PM