Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Catholic voters support Democrats?
(08-25-2020, 08:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not sure why you quoted me without addressing anything I said. The Catholic Church doesn’t state that the universe is 6000 years.

If you don’t like what the Catholic Church believes then why are you a “devout” Catholic. There are over two hundred dogma that you are required
to accept.
I think many are absurd, so I don’t consider myself a Catholic anymore. You argue they are absurd yet refer to yourself as devout.

Yeah, maybe in 500 AD.

And I did; you mentioned, "dogma," then I responded that said, "dogma," was just control and stuff that is to be taken as fluff in today's modern world.

- I go to church every Sunday, without fail (haven't since February, due to COVID). This, I deem to be the most-important part of any religion, aside from living your life with the morals and values it teaches.
- On that note, I absolutely live on the morals and values that Catholicism teaches and there have been occasions in life where I have not (nobody's perfect and I have acted out of turn on a few occasions, but I have atoned or attempted to atone for the times I have not been a model person). This, I also feel, is what separates each religion and sect from the other (its morals and values)
- I pray a ton
- I wear 2 crosses and (a currently missing) St. Antonio around my neck, along with a rosary ring and an Our Father ring.
- I observe Lenten tradition and do not eat meat on Fridays (an Italian-Catholic thing), haven't my entire life (there have been fluke occurrences).
- I have St. Antonio tattooed as a half-sleeve

Religion, like everything in life, requires an evolution of sorts and a shit-ton of so-called, "dogma," that you talk about, has to be eschewed or completely gone against; every religion is chock full of hypocrisies and paradoxes, thus on occasion, it's impossible to act, speak or think one way that is acceptable, while at the same time not going against another teaching.

For example, Jesus was a walking Golden Rule observer, yet if we are to follow his lead and treat everyone how he/we wished to be treated, why am I not allowed to bring a raised and Catholic-following friend to church with me, because he's gay? I have to turn him away and shun him, because his lifestyle is viewed as sin in the eyes of the faith I believe in?

And there are a lot more paradoxes where that came from.

Therefore, all of this, "dogma," which attempts to create black and white scenarios, cannot be adhered to in an increasingly grey world. Period. Accept it. You even said so yourself:

Quote: I mentioned earlier that priests can now remove excommuincation due to abortion.

And there's your evolution! One piece of, "dogma," that has been eschewed.

But then you mention:

Quote:doctrine is infallible.
(which it isn't)

So what is it? Is the doctrine sound? Or is it that not everything has to be followed to the letter in 2020, due to a significantly more-complicated world than it was 1800 years ago?

Anyways, this is a discussion for another thread and I'm rambling to death anyways. Basically, I know from what I see, experience, think and do daily, that I'm a helluvalot of a better Catholic (in terms of adhering to the doctrine) than 95% of the ones I've spent my entire life around and that is completely non-hyperbolic.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Catholic voters support Democrats? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-25-2020, 09:01 PM