Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Republican National Convention(s)
(08-26-2020, 01:06 PM)Dill Wrote: Those "words" are actually a concise statement of a scholarly standard of independent research which emerged in German universities during the late 18th century, and was over the next century adopted in research institutions worldwide, including the US. If you can resolve those "words" into statements, you'll find nothing there "basically says it's ok to do it when I think it's ok to do it." 

So it's happening again, as it has on so many other threads (e.g., most recently, the Esper/Milley thread)--I articulate standards of analysis/judgment independent of any specific issue or political conflict so people can have a rational discussion of issues, and you cast the standards as just another form of personal bias. 

The only principle have you articulated and doubled down on, in both the old and the new forum, is that one needn't actually engage with and demonstrate understanding of opposing positions before condemning them. One can judge them before hand. Pre-judge them. Praejudicium. Prejudice elevated to an operational standard.

I'm going to try hard to respond to this without making it personal.  What you tend to do is a take a simple discussion and obfuscate behind a long winded explanation, introducing a lot of principles and facts that really aren't relevant and then acting like you proved something when someone doesn't engage in the ponderous effort to actually address every irrelevancy you introduced. 

It's a simple concept, comparing your political opponents to the Nazis or anything related to the Nazis is a charged, and over the top, allegation.  It is done to be intentionally inflammatory and no amount of pontificating on your part will change this.  This is, of course, my opinion.

Quote:As far as building highways, Ike got the idea for a US interstate from Germany--from HITLER if it comes to that. I don't recall reading whether anyone considered it a "charged comparison" if peope noted where he got the idea. Perhaps adopting that particular Hitlerian idea did not cut against the grain of American democracy the way that undermining the free press does. 

Did anyone compare Ike to Hitler when he did it?  Did his political opponents come out and say, Ike is like Hitler because of "x"?  If not then your example is meaningless.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Republican National Convention(s) - Dill - 08-24-2020, 09:53 PM
RE: Republican National Convention(s) - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-26-2020, 01:24 PM