Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auden Tate building on from last year
(08-27-2020, 02:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: Boyd's catch % is actually not bad compared to players with similar target volume.  For example, he's better than Jarvis Landry, OBJ, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, DK Metcalf, Michael Gallup, Robbie Anderson, Mike Williams, etc.  I mean, Julio Jones is at 63%.

Tate has the worst catch % of the Top 100 pass catchers in both Catches and Targets.  Trying to blame that on the QB doesn't work because he has had the second worst catch % on the Bengals each of the last two years.  His catch % is bad, no matter whether you're comparing him to his teammates or the rest of the league.

I expect he will show improvement because Burrow displayed exceptional ball placement in college, which is what guys who struggle to get open need to help compensate.  

We have done this a bunch, if you look at his advanced analytics he was thrown far lower quality passes than most the guys on the team and compared to the league as a whole. That usually gets someone to respond he must be a poor route runner, which isn't true when you turn on the tape. To me it comes down to the routes he was asked to run were usually lower percentage throws (no screens, drags, etc) but may have also been Andy's thought process of making him "go get it" because he can and usually those throws are safer in terms of interceptions if they are not caught. When you actually watch all of his targets the ball is just never put on him or in front, it is really odd to see.

Before we get there I guess I'll add the stats:

Player Target Quality Rating League Rank
Auden Tate 4.4 97
Tyler Boyd 5.2 62
John Ross 7.3 8

Player Catchable Target Rate League Rank
Auden Tate 65.4% 100
Tyler Boyd 76.9% 58
John Ross 78.6% 44

This is a conversation I have gone round and round on probably 3 or 4 times here. I usually end up posting a video clip of all his targets in the Ravens game that showed him having to leave his feet on almost every throw because the ball was placed so god awfully. I then usually follow that up with Buffalo where at least one interception was the result of an absolutely horribly placed ball to him.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Auden Tate building on from last year - Au165 - 08-27-2020, 02:42 PM