Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-27-2020, 10:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think it's still fair to say it's about police violence, but I think we need to recognize that the people starting the protests which result in people taking advantage of the situation are very quick to jump to conclusions. Far too often we see instances of police involved shootings which are completely above board, yet the protests are already going. Even the Jacob Black shooting is in this realm, to be quite frank.

I completely agree.  You'll notice how others here completely ignored your last point in this paragraph. 

Quote:It's tough because stuff like what happened to Floyd and Taylor are horrible situations and we need to be taking a hard look at them, but because people are so quick to either denounce or defend the police actions it becomes almost farcical and results in people digging their heals in even more on their side.

The police officer who killed Floyd had literally zero justification for his actions.  Honestly, it was mind boggling and can really only be explained by pure sadism.  The Taylor shooting was a horrible mistake and, as usual, the cover up attempt made it worse.  But, as you say, the vast, vast majority of law enforcement shootings are entirely justified, and even when the fall into a grey area they tend to lean towards justification.  trust me when I say no officer wants to shoot someone.  Even if you're a complete bastard the process you go through after a shooting is intensely unpleasant, even when the shooting is a cut and dry justified one.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-27-2020, 05:06 PM