Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auden Tate building on from last year
(08-27-2020, 08:07 PM)Whatever Wrote: He is not going to get screens and drag routes because those are designed to get the ball to YAC threats in space.  It's not really fair to say that the others have their stats inflated by running certain routes when Tate doesn't have the skill set to be a viable option on those routes.  That's probably my biggest issue with him as a player.  He has a very narrow skill set as a receiving option.

The other issue with that argument is that Tate gets worse separation than Boyd and Ross, so defenders are going to affect the throw to him more.  Ross has more Targeted Air Yards than either by a wide margin, but has a higher target quality because he can separate quicker and create easier throws despite operating further upfield.  I know you're dismissive of separation, but there appears to be a correlation there.

He's also not a good route runner.  In the Baltimore game you're referring to, he makes a diving catch on an out route where he starts his break just inside the 10 and makes the catch near the 6.  You can't round your route off 3-1/2 yards up field.  I give him props for making the grab, but that's an example of a "poor throw" he created by running a bad route.  Also in that Baltimore game, he had two back shoulder throws he jumped for.  That's common among big receivers with bad footwork.  They jump and rotate their bodies in the air to make the grab because they don't have good enough footwork to get around for it.  Honestly, if you look through most of Tate's highlights, most of them are just back shoulder throws he's jumping to get his body around for.

He's not a guy you want out there every down because he has a limited skill set and a lot of routes that he's simply ineffective running, so it allows the defense to cheat.  He's a good possession 4th WR.  He could hypothetically be a good red zone threat, but he has yet to show it.  

I disagree with a lot of your assumptions and analysis here, but again not going to do this debate for like the 4th time. I look forward to him having a breakout year. Since his issues were on him and not Dalton, per many here, QB play this year should have no bearing on his performance.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Auden Tate building on from last year - Au165 - 08-27-2020, 09:02 PM