Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boogaloo member who entered Raleigh restaurant with a gun now accused in Hamas plot
(09-08-2020, 11:03 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've said it before, but the left's blind defense of islam has always baffled me.  The way it is practiced in much of the world is the most patriarchal, homophobic and illiberal ideology on the planet.

I know that this may be giving more credit to a lot of folks because they likely don't think this deeply about things, but here is my take on this. The defense of Islam and its practitioners is less about the religion itself and more about the individuals. Much of the criticism aimed at Islam from the right tends to be in an effort to paint a sizable part of the population with a very broad brush that is dipped in the worst of Islamic ideology. This results in prejudice and discrimination based on religion (and ethnicity for that matter). That is what a progressive leaning individual would really have a problem with.

Now, I have also been known to defend Islam the religion against attacks that misrepresent the religion because much like all religions there are those that corrupt the message within it. Islam has a different history than many other religions, though, and does have a very high level of extremist followers thanks to the influence of Saudi Arabia over the Middle East (among other things). It's very complicated.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boogaloo member who entered Raleigh restaurant with a gun now accused in Hamas plot - Belsnickel - 09-08-2020, 11:17 AM