Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How Did The Coronavirus Spread So Quickly?
It didn't spread that quickly.

It has been traced back in Ohio all the way back to January 7th, but originally it wasn't confirmed to have reached here until March 9th.

That's two months of not knowing it was actually here for it to spread about. Presumably other states/countries had the same situation. By then it's already a done deal considering how our country is built around States handling their own business in matters like this. Response/ability to handle this has been a huge display of how good your local/State government is.

Hopefully people will now realize how important it is to have competent local government.

- - - - - - -

Last I heard (end of May), 70% of the deaths in Ohio were in nursing homes. So unless you know a lot of people in various nursing homes in Ohio, it's unlikely you'll have personally known anyone who died from it.

Also 77.4% of all people who died from Coronavirus in Ohio were 70+ of age, so again, unless you know a huge abundance of old people, you again are unlikely to have personally known anyone who died from it.

There have been about 133,000 cases in Ohio (both symptomatic and asymptomatic, I don't know if anyone keeps track of the numbers separately). It is a state of 11.7m people. That is 1 case for every 88 people, and one would imagine that cases come in clusters since they're people they have interacted with. So if your social circle is 70-100 people (or less), it's not really strange to not personally know someone who's had it.

My county has about 206,000 people in it and there have been ~1,400 cases (1 for every 147 people) and only 15 deaths in a span of 6 months (8 if you count how they traced it back to Jan). While 15 people dying is terrible, over a 6 month span it's statistically almost nothing. It's one extra bad car accident per month.

- - - - - - - - -

Just so people don't think this is me completely dismissing Covid-19, it is still a serious thing because it can wreck our elderly/medically compromised population. I am just saying that without 24/7 news and the internet shoving macro numbers into our faces at all times (hey there food/toilet paper shortages awhile back), a lot of people's lives would be a whole lot brighter. They would just wear a mask, socially distance, and their life wouldn't be particularly impacted in any other way until this blew over with a vaccine.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Did The Coronavirus Spread So Quickly? - TheLeonardLeap - 09-09-2020, 05:38 PM