Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Playing the "called me racist" card.
(09-15-2020, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well they are wrong.

Pretty much the opening line of every argument you make.  

Quote:Saying that white people have privileges in our society is not the same as saying white people are racist.  All the white people who acknowledge their privilege are not admitting that they are racist.

Probably because the term is racially charged.  The correct term would be majority privilege.  If a white person moved to China, Japan, Kenya, Saudi Arabia or anywhere else with a extremely low white population they wouldn't have white privilege there. 

Quote:And refusing to acknowledge white privilege is usually more about ignorance than racism.  You can tell by the arguments white people usually use to try and deny it like "Why are their poor white people if they are all so privileged?"    

My point above aside, there are plenty of people who will castigate white people for not acknowledging their privilege.  The whole "anti-racist" movement is a good example.  It's not enough to not be a racist person, you either actively attack racism, in all its forms, or you are part of the problem.  The militant language used by some (many?) creates far more problems than it could ever solve.  People don't like being treated or labeled as "x" because they belong to a group, whether that group is religious, ethnic, sexual orientation or gender.  Especially when it's done in a confrontational or aggressive manner.  They tend to react in a negative manner to such treatment and it'd be difficult to impossible to fault them for it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Playing the "called me racist" card. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-15-2020, 03:55 PM