Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Playing the "called me racist" card.
(09-15-2020, 08:43 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: You are mentioning a very hard truth that simply cannot be discussed with rationality because of how triggering the concept might be to many people. 

Unless there are equal percentages of every culture in every place, an impossible proposition, then there will necessarily be a dominate culture.  Would anyone who is really honest with themselves rather it be anything other than Western culture?  There are countries in this world with other dominant cultures.  These countries are emphatically not the ones where people are risking life and limb to make into these countries.  

Like Marvin Lewis use to say, "I see a lot better than I hear."  Despite what I hear about the USA being such a terrible place, there are still many who would risk everything to be a part of it.    

No one is saying there is anything wrong with Western Culture.  The problems with "white privilege" is not that western culture is bad.  The problem lies with issues like racial profiling and discrimination.

You are not saying that racial profiling and discrimination are necessary parts of Western Culture, are you? 

The "attack on Western Culture" line is often just a red herring for people who want to deny the existence of racial profiling and other forms of discrimination against minorities.

**EDIT**  Actually the issue of "colonialism" is often tied with "western culture".  In that case some people who discuss white privilege are actually attacking Western Culture.  But I am not one who think colonialism defines Western Culture.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Playing the "called me racist" card. - fredtoast - 09-16-2020, 12:42 PM