Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you become a Bengals fan?
We moved to Cincinnati just before my senior year of high school (Arrgh). By then my dad was high up in the company he worked for which meant we got lots of tickets for everything including Bengal's games. It was the end of the era where they still just had the word "Bengals" printed on the side of their helmets. But I really became a fan the year they went to stripes, which everybody knows was also their first Super Bowl season (1981-1982). The best Bengal's game I saw that year was when they came from behind to beat the New York Jets at Shea stadium in front of a bunch of screaming New Yorkers. Though of course the "Freezer Bowl" was good, too and I got to watch it in front of a roaring fireplace and still covered by blankets.

Nearly a year to the day after that Freezer Bowl we got invited to "the booth" to watch the Bengal's game against the Jets where the game time temp was at least 50 degrees warmer. It was the one in which one Jet's guy ran a 102 yard pick six and another (Freeman??) had 200 yards rushing or something. And the Jets beat the Bengals so bad the Jets never had to use their punter.

I also got to see the Bengals playoff game against the Seahawks (yes, younguns, they were in the AFC originally) and that was a lot better result but it was also the game where Seahawks players faked injuries to throw off Boomer and his no-huddle offense.

I live in Florida now and also spent seven years in California. There is a bar in Pasadena where a bunch of rowdy Bengals fans go and I went there to watch a game and have Skyline chili. Unfortunately the Squealers beat up the Bengals pretty bad that day, which was in Andy's first season. Someday I hope to make it to a Bengal's game again in person because there is nothing like it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How did you become a Bengals fan? - WiregrassBenGal - 10-23-2015, 02:16 PM