Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the Muslim religion a "religion of peace"?
(10-23-2015, 09:06 PM)xxlt Wrote: Ah, yes indeed. And yet, does Christianity not claim to be a religion of peace? When extremists act in the name of their Christian faith, are we not told to not judge all by the actions of a few? The OP mentioned this phenomenon, I think, but it is not unique to any one faith, right? So, I would say Islam (aka the Muslim religion) is a religion of peace for same reason Christianity (aka the Christian religion is) and for same reason Judaism (aka the Jewish religion) is: because you can cherry pick the sacred texts and teachings (or consider the who shebangabang) of any of the three and make the claim. You can also say any of the three is "the one true faith" or "a bunch of hooey" or "a riddle wrapped in an enigma."

It reminds one of the question Jesus asked (according to Mark 8:29 - who knows what he really said, he might have said, "What do you think I should have for lunch?" but according to the Gospel of Mark he said), "Who do you say that I am?" So, just as anyone could answer that question from JC with whatever he or she says JC is, anyone could answer the question, "What do you say this Abrahamic religion is?" however he or she chose. Some choose to answer, "it is a religion of peace," and that is why it is, according to those who so say.

one difference with Christianity. I wouldn't argue people commit horrible acts in it's name, but that's not in accordance with the teaching. Most Christians cherry pick from the ot to allow for human nature. It allows for violence and grievances to be settled. Most Christians can't handle what Christ called for, nonviolence and forgiveness.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is the Muslim religion a "religion of peace"? - Benton - 10-23-2015, 09:46 PM