Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Jeremy Hill far ahead of his production last year
(10-23-2015, 07:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brad, we all understand the theory behind your argument.  Hill gets more momentum from starting 2 yards deeper in the backfield. 

The problem is that your theory does not apply to reality.  The facts are that Hill has always been more productive ("production" is a fact not an opinion) running the ball from the shotgun formation.

Your theory might work if the only play Hill ever ran was a dive play, but the truth is that it is not always the best plan for a RB to line up deep in the backfield and run straight ahead every play.  That is the reason that every team in the league does not run with the RB under center.  

You may also argue that even though it is not best for every RB it is the best for a power back like Hill.  But I would argue that Hill is more than just a straight line bull.  He has the skills to run all sorts of plays like the outside zone, stretch zone, counter traps and sweeps, outside sweeps.  

Hill doesn't have to be lined up 7 yards deep to hit the hole harder.  He just needs to be more decisive when he gets the ball. 

Fred, you fail on so many levels.

When Hill gets the ball from the shotgun, as I pointed out, he's getting it standing still, meaning the defense has more time to react and commit to the run before he gets started.

I also pointed out how that stats from the gun are skewed since he has the one long run on less attempts.  To further that point, I went back and looked at play-by-play from games and noticed that Hill didn't otherwise have much success running from the gun.

The problem with you is you very rarely look at the reality of situations or the facts and instead pretend that your opinions make things fact.

Once again, I don't know how many times I've pointed out that lining him up in the backfield with Dalton under center doesn't mean just dives up the middle every play (in fact, only a small percent of his runs are actually classified as middle).

He doesn't even necessarily need to be "deep" in the backfield, as he never is that deep in the lone setback formation, which you ignore and claim that I'm saying "7 yards deep."  They're that deep sometimes in an I formation, but even that is usually 5 or 6.  Typical Fred.

To be decisive, Hill needs to be running downhill with momentum, as-is the case with most backs.

Case-in-point:  why don't all teams just run shotgun every down all game?  It's so easy for the backs to run from- just as easy as with the QB under center- and the quarterback doesn't have to drop back and has more time with a better view of the entire defense to see the pass coverages.

See, your arguments fail when faced with reality.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jeremy Hill far ahead of his production last year - BFritz21 - 10-23-2015, 10:30 PM