Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock draft giving Bengals top pick in 2021 draft - Already
(09-19-2020, 08:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Cowboys and Aikman was how many decades ago? The game has changed alot since then.

Peyton, that is a better example and how long did it take that team to get a championship? 

As I said to Nico, I am sold on the Chiefs model of building a team. Build a line, build a defense, get good coaching in place, get some weapons and then you sell your draft away to move up and get your guy. 

Who cares if you give up pick 32 the following year? I'd give up the last pick of the first round the next year if you got the franchise QB when he had a chance to succeed.

It took the Colts 9 years to win the SB after drafting Peyton.  That included one coaching change, with Jim Mora being replaced by Dungy in '02.  Thing is, Andy Reid had KC 11-5 his first year and it took him 7 years to win the SB, so the "build team/insert QB" model is not dramatically faster.  

The other issue with the KC model is you can't always trade up.  Take this year, for example.  The Bengals were taking Burrow no matter what.  If you were sold on him, you weren't getting him, regardless of what you're willing to offer.  If someone else outbid KC for Mahomes, they are most likely not winning the SB and trying to keep their core together until they can get that elite QB.  Lots of teams try that strategy, never get the elite QB, and never win the SB.  That's why when you're sure you've got the guy, you have to pull the trigger.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mock draft giving Bengals top pick in 2021 draft - Already - Whatever - 09-20-2020, 03:59 AM