Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How Long Will the Rebuilding Take?
Personally, I think that we just need to improve the offensive line, get some linebackers, and hope our aging guys, particularly on defense, can still produce, and we're a playoff team.

Look at how good Burrow has been with no time to throw the ball and the defense not doing him any favors!  Imagine putting him behind a decent offensive line that gives him some time to throw and he can make anyone look like a superstar!

Hopefully there's a few quality free agents that we can sign, which I think Troy and Katie will be all-in on giving Burrow the tools he needs to succeed, and a few players in the draft to plug and play, 

We might need to move a few players around on the line, but I think we can improve that with the first two picks in the draft and a full offseason to shuffle guys around and get them comfortable.  

Then maybe get a few backers in the draft or free agency and I think we're set to go.

I rest my hope on us having four cornerstone pieces to a winner: Burrow, AJ, Mixon, and Geno.  Build around them and I think we can at least make a run at it for one more year, particularly with a bunch of young receivers.  A playoff win next season would hopefully attract a bunch of free agents to play knowing that Burrow is leading the show.

(09-20-2020, 10:01 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We aren’t as far off as people think around here.

A 3 pt loss with a bad OPI and a kicker fluke that would’ve taken us to OT.
A 5 pt loss on a Thursday game thanks to a defense that didn’t show up.

I think next year is the start of something great. I think we barely miss the playoffs this year and look strong at the end of the season. If they fix this O-line and get a few more pieces on D they will be playoff ready. That sounds like one more offseason to me.
That's what I'm thinking and I think a full offseason of improving, meeting, practicing, etc. rona-free will help matters.

Our D is aging and, while he's getting a bit older, you don't think a healthy Geno changes the outcome of those first two games.  

Burrow's the real deal and he's doing it with a dog-shit offensive line.  

Honestly, like you said, if we can just improve the offensive line and get a few pieces on defense, we're a playoff team. 
(09-20-2020, 10:06 AM)P W Wrote: younger fans, people that came along after the 1990s, have not fully experienced what befell the bengals front office after paul brown's passing. so when you ask, "how long will a rebuilding take?" you have to consider, "is the mike brown-katie blackburn-troy imarriedintothis ready to commit to winning a playoff game or a superbowl?" if you look over the past 30 years of roster moves, one thing always holds this team back, the front office. 

when they drafted a qbotf with the overall #1 and chose to stand pat on the OL situation this off season, was anyone surprised?
Correction with the entire first paragraph because it's not the front office, it's Mike Brown.  

With Katie and Troy pretty much running things now, I feel like they'll give Zac all the tools he needs to be successful.

I'll give them a pass this offseason on the line because the whole world was in hell with the Rona.
(09-20-2020, 01:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Protect your QB and pressure the opposing QB.
Be able to run effectively and stop the run on D.

They're having issues in all 4 areas. Hard to win games when you're struggling in ALL those facets of the game. There's still a lot of work to be done. They have to figure out a way to improve in these areas...especially protecting their QB and stopping the run. 

Yeah, I was shocked at how much our d got pushed around and how ineffective our linebackers were.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Long Will the Rebuilding Take? - BFritz21 - 09-20-2020, 01:56 PM