Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(09-21-2020, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have to have someplace to house thousands of inmates.  And it would probably get pretty bloody.

Possibly, but I doubt it.  Once they started getting charged in federal court the riots really dried up.  Look at Lancaster.  They hammered the shit out of the people arrested on the first night and the violence stopped.

Quote:When Bull Conner "cracked down" on Martin Luther King's protestors in Birmingham it just generated sympathy for the protestors cause around the country.  Same thing with the level of violence used by the Chicago police at the 1968 Democratic convention.  Since the Portland protestors have not destroyed the city in almost 4 months of rioting many people don't think extreme force or violence would be justified against them.

There's an enormous difference in King's actually peaceful protests and over 100 nights of straight rioting.  Throwing rocks, explosives, molotov cocktails, shining lasers into the officers eyes etc.  I don't think you would have seen much, if any sympathy for those guys.

Quote:It is easy to just make a rule against it.  But the the violence required to enforce the rule may cause more problems than it fixes. 

As stated above, I don't think it would have taken much, if any, violence.  Once they started facing actual consequence for their daily lawlessness they stopped.  The DA in Portland should be disbarred for allowing that crap to go on for over three months.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-21-2020, 02:34 PM