Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United Nations, Syria, and international coalitions
So even though the massive number of refugees is having direct effects on countries all across the world the United Nations is powerless because Russia and China will veto any big move to remove Assad.

As most of you know I am usually against involvement in international conflicts that do not have a direct effect on the U.S. But this is a case where I would not be opposed to contributing military resources to an international coalition if it would tip the scales decisively in our favor. The last thing I would want to be involved with would be some half-assed posse that would not be strong enough to lock things down. We sure as hell don't want to get involved in some proxy war with China and Russia. But if the EU, the US, and many of the Arab League nations were all working together we could "impose peace" in Syria.

But then what do we do. Do we throw out Assad or set up free elections that he could win? What kind of country is left of Syria? Who still ,lives there? Who would they elect? Would we just have to repeat this all again in a few years?

I am almost always oppose to the United States getting into any military conflict with a country that has not attacked us. But the one exception is an international event that is effecting the political stability and economic viability of nations all across the world. This refugee problem is MASSIVE.

Messages In This Thread
United Nations, Syria, and international coalitions - fredtoast - 10-25-2015, 10:59 PM