Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does he refuse to condemn them?
(10-01-2020, 02:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Oh, I know why. It's because they think Trump's a white supremacist himself based on virtually no evidence.

These things are usually hard to "prove". I don't know if he is a white supremacist. I rather feel (without evidence) that he sees their support and their love for him, and that's the only thing that really matters to him. Similar to QAnon. Mr. president, are they dangerous like the FBI and pretty much all experts agree on? - I don't know, I kow they like Trump..."
I do think he is a racist, or say at least someone who is glaringly unaware of his more racist impulses. For that there are quite strong indications, that much I dare to say. He encouraged a crowd to boo a judge for his hispanic name, he told congresswomen of color to go back where they came from, and this is a long and ongoing list.

(10-01-2020, 02:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm going to assume you're not a racist (because you've given no reason to suggest otherwise). Now, imagine people routinely call you a racist by twisting your words and/or taking them out of context. Now, imagine you are asked to condemn racism. You do so. You are asked again to condemn racism. You do so. You are asked again to condemn racism. You do so. You are asked again to condemn racism. You do so. You are asked again to condemn racism. You do so. You are asked again to condemn racism. You do so. You are asked again to condemn racism. You do so. At some point, you're going to get annoyed and respond in a way that might seem as if you're angry/annoyed/deflecting/etc. 

Yeah, that sounds pretty annoying. But I just do not feel this is an accurate representation of what actually went down.
Imho, his recent condemnation was a weak one, for all the reasons mentioned, and I do not feel he ever gave a stronger one in the past. There's always that reluctance. He always does strongly condemn Antifa though. He calls them bad and dangerous and radical. These are strong words. He never, never ever, used such terms when it came to white supremacists and the like. Never that kind of emphasis and passion. I don't say that to smear Trump, I say that because I really feel this is just demonstrably true.

(10-01-2020, 02:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Richard Spencer came out in favor of Joe Biden. Biden rejected his support. If Spencer keeps campaigning in favor of Biden, does Biden have an obligation to routinely denounce Spencer? 

For one, I would be more content if Trump even would explicitly do that. Rejecting the support of the Proud boys, for example. Just that. He never does that, he never comes out and says he does not want their support.
Answering your question, Biden imho would not need to react to it infinitely. At some point there's good reason to just leave it. I don't think Trump reasonably can be seen as being at that point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why does he refuse to condemn them? - hollodero - 10-01-2020, 06:15 PM