Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
President and First Lady test POSITIVE!
(10-05-2020, 01:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If I may play psychological devil's advocate here, being "happy" Trump caught covid may be less about him being ill and more about a perceived sense of fairness.  People tend to like things that are fair or make sense and cognitive dissonance is a pretty big stressor in many aspects of life.

Seeing someone who brags about breaking rules and laws and other societal codes of conduct yet manages to avoid consequence can be a little off-putting for the commoners who don't have the luxury.  Trump actually facing some sort of consequence for his latest gleeful disregard comes off more as satisfying in a sense of fairness moreso that "Hoorah I hope he drops dead" if that makes sense.

You tell a kid to stop yanking on the dog's tail and he smiles and does it again and the dog nips him and the first thing you think is "See?  I told you."  That doesn't make you inherently cruel and evil, you just shug and say that fire is the best teacher.  Then again, maybe I'm just a heartless jerk.  My hunch that Trump is quite likely to use his brush with covid as a means to puff himself up and tacitly put down the many people who died from it may play a role in my mindset, though.

The short of it - Trump constantly brags about breaking rules and getting away with it, so I can see why it's satisfying to see something actually stick to him for once. 

All of this I am well aware of. I get it. I just think that there is a difference between satisfaction that Trump got his comeuppance, and actually celebrating the news, which I have seen.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - Belsnickel - 10-05-2020, 01:26 PM