Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really feel like the fan base is diminishing
I'm not going anywhere as a fan but this is as painful and as frustrating as it's been in 20 years. Hopefully most of you won't remember week three of the 2000 season. It was eerily reminiscent of Sunday's game. On the road, against the Ravens, a dysfunctional Bengals team lost 37-0. A legendary Ravens defense forced four turnovers and Jamal Lewis ran all over the Bengals defense. Tony Banks, a far cry from Lamar Jackson, picked the Bengals secondary apart at-will. At least these days there's some semblance of hope at QB for the Bengals. That day they trotted out Akili Smith, who was steam rolled by Baltimore's defense and replaced with Scott Mitchell. You can imagine how that went. The loss was so bad, Bruce Coslet resigned a few days later. Mike Brown was surprised by his resignation. The team had scored one touchdown through three games in the season. And Mike Brown was surprised. Says about all you need to know about what ails this franchise.

It took a really long time to get over that loss. One of the biggest punches in the gut I've had as a Bengals fan. Here we are two decades later and other than a few playoff losses what strides has this organization really made? Yes, they stumbled into the first pick in the draft (thank you Fitzmagic!). But they're still making poor draft decisions, refusing to see the error of their ways, putting too much faith in incompetent coaches, and still misusing the personnel they have. Most importantly of all, they're still the embarrassment of the NFL, and deservedly so. I almost quit that day, but didn't. I wanted to quit again yesterday. But I won't. This team is too deeply imbedded in my DNA as a Cincinnati sports fan. But like someone else said earlier, why in the hell would you do this if you weren't born into it?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Really feel like the fan base is diminishing - MickMack - 10-12-2020, 04:58 PM