Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘We Need to Take Away Children,’ No Matter How Young
(10-13-2020, 11:20 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So, if you're convicted of a misdemeanor and sentenced to jail, does this mean you think you shouldn't have to go to jail if you have kdis?

For something like illegally crossing a border, I feel you should not. All legal equivalencies aside, it is just unnecessary cruelty. Sure people could avoid it by not crossing the border, but you could justify any measure with that argument.

My country is pretty tough on illegal immigration. But even our toughest parties never contemplated proceedings like they happen in the US, with kids taken away for lengthy periods of times, while obviously ever so often the state then loses track of parents or children. It can severely traumatize kids, that are at no fault of their own, and for what?

Also, not to completely dismiss the point, but when an US citizen has to go to jail for a misdemeanor (has to be something more than jaywalking I'd guess, but whatever), their kids at least know where their parent is, they can at least see them regularly, and are probably taken care of while remaining in their known environment. Maybe there is a second parent or grandparents or the like. And if there are not, I'd be all for avoiding jailtime for said single parent for a misdemeanor too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: ‘We Need to Take Away Children,’ No Matter How Young - hollodero - 10-13-2020, 11:39 AM