Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stack the Senate instead of the Court
(10-14-2020, 02:23 PM)hollodero Wrote: I don't know about that particular approach. But I do think the current composition of the senate is blatantly unfair.

Starting with your territories that have no representation at all, including in the senate. Puerto Rico needs two senators or else you're just colonial occupiers. Guam and the others need at least a senator too. Washington, sure, that they de facto have no representation is weird and pretty un-democratic as well.
That California has two senators and the Dakotas have four also is pretty darn strange. I get the federalist approach, but this just takes it too far.

Well, to give representation to our territories in the Congress would take a constitutional amendment. Article I specifically says that Congress is made up of people elected from the states, so statehood would need to be granted for people in places like DC, Puerto Rico, etc., to have that congressional representation. Personally, I don't have much of an issue with our current bicameral approach, but I'm also not totally enamored with it. I just want to see a more well represented populous in Congress, overall.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stack the Senate instead of the Court - Belsnickel - 10-14-2020, 02:35 PM