Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stack the Senate instead of the Court
(10-14-2020, 02:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: People keep saying that like it's not by design.  

I know it's by design. I question the design.

(10-14-2020, 02:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Puerto Rico has voted against becoming a state in the past.  They are having another symbolic vote on it this election day.  I wouldn't be at all shocked if they vote against it again.  They have certain benefits under the current system that they would lose as a state.

That I did not know. I looked it up now, seems the last real conclusive "no" to statehood occurred in 1967. Then there were some inconclusive votes, and in 2012 60% voted for statehood. In 1997 a whopping 97% did so, albeit there was a call for boycott around, so there's a massive grain of salt.

But a vote against statehood, as far as I can see that did not occur any time recently.

(10-14-2020, 02:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Guam isn't a state and no one, except Dems, are looking to change that.  The D.C. issue is an easy fix, make it part of Maryland, problem solved.  We don't have city states in the modern world.

Well... Monaco, Singapore and Vatican do exist. But sure, throw them to Maryland, seems fine to me. Maybe give them some additional electors in the EC then.

(10-14-2020, 02:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not strange at all, it's by design.  Seeing as how the United States has been the worlds most successful democratic republic for over two hundred years all this radical change being advanced smacks of impropriety.

That particular argument doesn't fare well with me. As of now, I feel you are not doing particularly well. You're deeply divided, your political landscape is a mess, money and donors and influence groups dominate politics, and you have a full blown and potentially dangerous demagogue on top. Doing well imho looks differently.
In the past you had a civil war, so there's also that.

(10-14-2020, 02:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This whole topic reeks of "we didn't get our way so let's change the rules so we never lose again".  I wonder what other bedrock foundations of our nation's government the left wants to radically alter or eliminate because they didn't win in 2016.  Honestly, the whole things reeks of a power grab/coup by legislation.

Maybe some feel that way. I feel every citizen should have the right to vote. Heard this whole taxation without representation thing rubbed the first Americans back in the 18th century the wrong way. It rubs me the wrong way now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stack the Senate instead of the Court - hollodero - 10-14-2020, 03:10 PM