Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stack the Senate instead of the Court
(10-14-2020, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It seems the only argument you have is that I want to change the rules to help "my side".  I have already proven that is not true because my proposed rule changes would work the same for both sides, and history proves that the majority is constantly shifting back and forth.

Whether that's the case or not the timing of the propositions, coupled with the current climate, absolutely cast any such proposed change in starkly partisan terms.

Quote:The fact is I am arguing AGAINST minority rule in a democracy.  So what I have on my side is that in a democracy a minority should not be able to rule over a majority. 

Then you're literally against one of the founding principles of our country.  That seems to be going around a lot nowadays.  The founders were very explicit about their fear of the tyranny of the majority.

Quote:The ONLY thing you have on your side is that the current system helps your side.

I don't have a side, except for a consistent and logical argument.  I find both extremes repellent.  But you are slightly correct in that I find the current trends on the left to be worse and more pervasive.  You're providing an excellent example(s).

Quote:You can't argue that we have never changed our system before and you can't argue that it is working properly now.

I can't argue the former, no, but anyone could make an argument for the latter.  You wouldn't agree with it, but that doesn't mean an argument couldn't be made.

Quote:You value the power of your party over the theory of democracy.

Which party is that?  I'm a registered independent.  If you're referring to who I've voted for, I've never once cast my ballot for a Republican candidate, although I would have enthusiastically done so for McCain in 2000.  Stick to trying to make points instead of slapping labels on people. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stack the Senate instead of the Court - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-14-2020, 07:28 PM