Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Play Calling Linked to Burrow's Sacks...
Here’s the next tweet:

“Sack rate in empty on 3rd-and-long: 23%
Sack rate on boot action: 30%
Sack rate on all other plays: 7%
someone who is good at offense please help me budget this. my rookie QB is dying”

Great info in there for those that don’t want to read the whole thing:

-The weak links aren’t hard to find on tape. Right tackle Bobby Hart is clearly the biggest one. PFF has him responsible for three sacks, but in my own charting of the 22 sacks the Bengals have surrendered this season, I have him playing a role in five of them.

-The success rate on third-and-long (7+ yards to go) is 38.7% across the NFL, according to Sports Info Solutions. That number drops to 33.5% when any team passes out of an Empty formation. When the Bengals do it? It plummets to 15.7% and the team’s sack rate jumps to 23.1%.

-Taylor is from the Sean McVay coaching tree so, of course, he loves him some play-action from under center. There’s just one problem: The Bengals haven’t been very good when running those plays, losing -2.2 Expected Points on the season. More importantly, Burrow is getting wrecked when Taylor calls them. Play-action generally drives down sack rates, but the Bengals are allowing a sack on 21.4% of those dropbacks.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Playing Calling Linked to Burrow's Sacks... - Yojimbo - 10-14-2020, 08:48 PM