Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter King makes Burrow / Carr comparison
(10-15-2020, 08:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: Randall Cunningham got sacked 277 times from 86-90, 38 times more than Carr did in his five year span, yet he went and had a long carreer. People always want to jump straight to Carr, but no one even knows what Carr was actually going to be. We like to say sacks ruined him but we know now QB's miss all the time so it's easy to say that's why but it's just as likely he wasn't any good. He came out of Fresno State with essentially one decent season under his belt and we act like he was the next Peyton Manning if not for getting hit.

I am not saying Burrow needs to be taking hits constantly, but let's relax on this idea it is some sort of predictor of a ruined career because it frankly isn't. We have simply faced some great pass rushes so far this year, and the one time we didn't (JAX) he was fine. I don't think he finishes anywhere close to 70 when it's all said and done as I see it being closer to the 58-62 mark, which will be great because then we can stop with the stupid Carr narrative.

(10-15-2020, 08:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  However, I think David Carr is getting a huge pass for his poor play.  

(10-15-2020, 09:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I understand the purpose of the comparison and I understand the risks of not protecting Burrow.

But the truth is Burrow is vastly more talented than Carr was. He can already read defenses and throw fantastic passes based on touch, timing and location better than many veterans.

I think Carr is a cautionary tale, but less about "ruining" a good QB by not protecting them and more about failing to allow a QB to develop by not protecting them.
Carr had some raw tools but was unable to develop them in time to be an effective starting QB and the main reason was his offensive line. But Burrow does not have that problem.

Carr was never a good player in the NFL. His best year was his third year, where he had a 61% completion percentage, 16 TDs, 14 INTs and 3531 yards for a RTG of 83.5.
Building off of that, here's David Carr's stats from his first 5 games:
Game 1 - 10 of 22 - 45.5% 145 yards 2 TD 1 INT 78.8 rating (6 sacks)
Game 2 -  6 of 25 - 24% 87 yards 0 TD 2 INT 8.2 rating (9 sacks)
Game 3 - 12 of 22 - 54.6% 99 yards 0 TD 1 INT 47.3 rating (4 sacks)
Game 4 - 16 of 29 - 55.2% 188 yards 2 TD 2 INT 69.3 rating (7 sacks)
Game 5 - 12 of 23 - 52.2% 218 yards 1 TD 0 INT 99.5 rating (5 sakcs)
Do I even need to post Burrow's stats to show he's nowhere NEAR as bad as Carr was as a rookie?
Fact of the matter is that we need to be concerned for Burrow and hoping he doesn't get injured, but it's clear he's in no way shape or form in danger of becoming the next David Carr.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peter King makes Burrow / Carr comparison - PhilHos - 10-15-2020, 12:21 PM