Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do people have that many posts?
I'm not sure whether or not my post count on the old board qualifies as enough to meet the OP's criteria but I thought I'd weigh in with what I think is an obvious answer. (Fwiw, my old post count was somewhere around 6k, over 5 years. Which I think comes out to around 3 a day)

I think the answer for many, and it certainly was for me, was working a desk job, having internet access, and having loads of idle time.

My old job was an inside sales gig. I was a cube monkey. Actual selling or account maintenance probably only accounted for about 1/4 of my day. Another 1/4 was probably sales meetings and just everyday normal office interaction (water cooler talk, etc) The true reality was I had a ton of down time, and I had to be at my desk, to at least appear to be working.

Enter dicking around the internet, which I think is the case for a lot of people nowadays. As Peter said, in a given week "I do about 15 minutes of actual work". A lot of people dick around on social media or browse Amazon or whatever. I used to read sports pages, local news stuff, and switch between sites like Barstool and Reddit. I stated lurking around a few forums and found that they were a great time killer.

Also, it's real easy to fire off a good 20 posts in a very short amount of time. Get into an argument here or there, start a thread that sees varied responses, and you can rack up quite a few posts pretty quickly. Sometimes I used to see posts counts and think "God Damn" but 20k posts over years and years is easily broken down to less eye catching numbers.

Ex: Guy gets on the board, while listening to the Reds or Sport Talk or whatever, for an hour or so every evening, and fires off 5 posts a nights. If he's a member for 7 years and stays consistently active, that's 12,775 posts right there. Is he any less productive or more of a loser than someone who watches an hour of reality TV in that same hour?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do people have that many posts? - Wes Mantooth - 10-27-2015, 11:32 PM