Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Ball in Space, Yards After Catch
(10-20-2020, 06:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some want to blame predictable, simplistic, repetitive play calling for our WRs always seeming to be blanket covered.  Yes, I do agree that many other teams do seem to have more instances of receivers being wide open, and able to catch the ball and have room to run.  I don't think that other teams are benefitting from vastly superior play calling as much as simply having more time to let their receivers get open and their QBs study the field.

There are some of the same conversations we were having about the Bengals, the last 3 years that Andy was the QB.  I've brought it up before, an OL must give their QB at least 3 full seconds of protection on every drop back (though more is preferred).  In the current state of things on the line, Joe sometimes has defenders literally arriving about the same time the shotgun snap reaches his hands.  It's not a QB/WR issue folks, it's the OL..

I believe you're spot on as to the bulk of the problem.  But I also believe scheme/playcalling has a part as well.

When watching the better teams O's in the league and I don't mean just the Chiefs, several others as well. 6, 8, 10 plays a game or more they catch the opposing D zigging when they should have zagged. This happens with us in a "normal" game once or twice. 

In other words we don't fool anybody much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Catching Ball in Space, Yards After Catch - bengalfan74 - 10-20-2020, 09:00 PM