Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Tolerant Left at it again....again
(10-21-2020, 11:07 AM)PhilHos Wrote: True, but people don't like it when business discriminate against them because they belong to a specific group.

I can't speak to what these people experience on social media. Maybe they're being censored right and left, I don't know. But I think corporations' chief concern is liability. Even if the cases don't materialize into anything, if Twitter just hosts whatever people say no matter what, they will face constant lawsuits from people purporting that some tweet or article was left up despite being libelous to them, especially if Section 230 is changed like Trump threatened months ago.

And even if private corporations were changed to be forced to meet the same criteria held under the first amendment, threats of violence would still not be protected (not saying that this particular rally was about threats of violence, but those are definitely on there and Twitter was removing those as well, including people hoping Trump would die of COVID).

At the end of the day, social media is just an expression of our society and I think this rally and the sentiment behind it are just manifested frustration from conservatives whose beliefs are so wildly unpopular that society as a whole does not view them as acceptable beliefs to have. In other words, they reside outside of the Overton window. 

If the social media companies didn't censor them, then the people certainly would. If enough people report a tweet, it's probably taken down, maybe even automatically, I'm not sure. And then those people would just complain about that, labeling it "cancel culture." In a bit of an ironic twist, the majority of "Cancel Culture" is actually just the "free marketplace of ideas" but this is becoming a digression of a digression.

So it's gonna happen regardless of whether Twitter does it proactively or reactively. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Tolerant Left at it again....again - CJD - 10-21-2020, 11:24 AM