Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
With Mixon out time to evaluate other RBs.
(10-24-2020, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always been a big fan of Gio, and at the time we gave him this last big contract I was not really that upset.  Taylor was coming from a team that was built on the running game, but had problems when Gurly broke down at the end of both the '17 and '18 seasons.  So I assumed they were going to give Bernard enough touches to keep Mixon from wearing down.  Even though Gio did not get a lot of carries last year he did play close to half of the offensive snaps (42.2%) which helped keep Mixon fresh.

This year Bernard is playing less than a third of the snaps.  He is on pace to have his best receiving season since 2017, but he only has 12 carries in 6 games.  As much as I like him as both a player and a person, he is just getting paid too much for what he is contributing.  He is getting paid $4.1 million which makes him the 17th highest paid RB in the league this year and will make the same in 2021.

So with Mixon out for this Sunday's game I hope they give a good look at Treyveon Williams.  I am a big SEC fan and I was really impressed with what he did at Texas A&M.  Most people know that he led the SEC in rushing in '18 (1760 yds, 6.5 avg), but he was also a good receiver with 66 receptions over his 3 year career (27 with a 10.3 avg his final season).  He was known as an alpha leader and even though he looks small (5'8") he is powerful (208 lbs) and was noted as a very good pass blocker.  He has decent speed (4.5 forty) and athleticism.  He is not especially shifty and won't dazzle people with fancy moves, but has good vision.  I think he can be a very effective RB at the NFL level.

We also have Samje Perine who was a 4th round Pick for the Redskins.  He was also a big star in college (1713 yds, 6.5 avg Oklahoma in '14).  He holds the NCAA single game rushing record (427 yds and 6 tds against Kansas in '14) but he is much bigger now (240 lbs) than he was back then.  His rookie season ('17) he rushed for over 600 yards and had 22 receptions, but over the next two years he was released by both Washington and Miami.  He does not have the speed (4.65) of Williams but he has decent hands as a receiver.  He looks to be more of just a power back.

i see the opposite. we paid Gio but have unplayed him.. how about we feed/pass him the ball over 20 times and see what we get
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Mixon out time to evaluate other RBs. - Essex Johnson - 10-24-2020, 03:50 PM