Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The things I have seen with my own eyes
I have been thinking a lot about why so many Bengal fans are so negative. I think it has a lot to do with how old they are. I have seen things with my own eyes that a lot of people here could never imagine.

I first became a Bengal fan in 1973. We were a very good team back then. We won at least 10 games three of four years and went to the playoffs twice.

In 1981 I saw a Bengal team that had only won 14 games in the previous 3 seasons go to the Super Bowl. Our head coach had a 24-33 career record and had never made the playoffs. Our QB was 32 years old and in a four year slump where he had only won 20 games in 52 starts; thrown 16 more picks (56) than tds (43): and compiled a 69.1 passer rating. There was no hope for that team.

In 1988 I saw a Bengal team coming off a 4 win season go to the Super Bowl. Our head coach was 29-34 and had never made the playoffs. We had one of the best young QBs in the league, but he had suffered a serious slump in his fourth season. After throwing 51 tds in '85 and '86 he threw just 16 in '87. And worst of all he was throwing more and more picks every year (12 in '85, 17 in '86, and 19 in '87).

So if some of you think I am crazy to believe in Bengal magic, you have to realize that I have seen it happen. I think we have a decent shot to go to the Super Bowl if we can just improve our run defense.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The things I have seen with my own eyes - fredtoast - 10-29-2015, 08:49 PM