Poll: Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court?
Yes
No
Something about Abraham Lincoln
All of Trump's judicial nominations are white!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court?
(10-27-2020, 02:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Many argued that it existed and would be a feature of the new union, though it was not explicitly stated in the Constitution. It took over a decade for Marshall to outright claim to possess the power. 

Edit: my back up answer to power grab is the federal government's power grab from the late 1800's to mid 1900's, but it's not just one event. We could specify specifically FDR's presidency since it hasn't reverted back since then.

I don't think the addition of 2 would destroy the union. 13 is a tall order, which is why I said an agreement would have to be reached to implement it. The stated outcome in both cases would need to be balance rather than advantage. 

Yeah, you have to read some of the contemporary errata to understand the intention behind the courts because they left it out from being explicitly stated in the Constitution. It's actually one reason why I scoff at the idea of originalist or textualist justices, because by their rationale they shouldn't even be offering an opinion.

Also, the progressive era was definitely one big power grab leading up to FDR. It really is amazing to think how much changed in our government during that time, and most people really have no idea. Personally, as a bureaucrat, I tend to view it overall as a positive. While I have many problems with some of the things they did and stood for, Wilson and the Roosevelts really shaped things and my political views carry some similarities in many ways.

(10-27-2020, 03:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not the number increased, it's the reason for the increase.  As much as I disagree with McConnel's tactics in 2016 that has nothing on packing the SCOTUS.  It's a naked power grab and as close to tyranny as we've gotten in a non-war period.

This is why the commission is being discussed. Not even joking. The commission is a way to justify it without it being an overt power grab. They make a recommendation and it seems far more reasonable. It will be used to sway the hand-wringing moderates to their side. The right will continue to call it a power grab, sure, but I'd be willing to bet that the same ones with the Lincoln Project right now would go along with it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court? - Belsnickel - 10-27-2020, 03:59 PM