Poll: Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court?
Yes
No
Something about Abraham Lincoln
All of Trump's judicial nominations are white!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court?
(10-27-2020, 03:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not the number increased, it's the reason for the increase.  As much as I disagree with McConnel's tactics in 2016 that has nothing on packing the SCOTUS.  It's a naked power grab and as close to tyranny as we've gotten in a non-war period.

I remain unconvinced that this would be tyranny. Admittedly, I have not read all the posts on this thread, and therefore, may have missed your arguments for why this would be a tyrannical move. But as of now, I only see this as your opinion. Considering McConnell's tactics, and the simple justification of "well, I have the power to do it, and it's not illegal, so I will", I don't see in theory why the same argument doesn't suit the packing of the courts, especially given the precedent based justifications that Bmore laid out. EDIT : Also based on Bels' last paragraph in the post above this: end of EDIT. Sort of like how McConnell used some speech from a few years prior as his justification for not holding a hearing on another appointee.

I'm not necessarily saying that I can't see it as tyranny, but perhaps I need to see some arguments put forth for why that is. I'm sort of on two minds as far as McConnell's actions are concerned. I can see that as sort of tyranny as well, but don't necessarily do so. Especially if the only argument for "not tyranny" is "well, it's legal, and I have the power".

Lastly, I'm hoping to hear from your (or any other differing) perspective, on this issue. But by no means do I feel entitled to your time or response. Perhaps I may learn or get more profound in considering the issues due to it. I do see a potential for escalation, an arms race of packing if you will, but other than that, fail to see a specifically tyrannical view, only one of this will lead to eventual troubles because this can become an endless game and not a meaningful exercise. But based on current functioning of Congress, my cynical view is that we're essentially already at a the point of meaningless games, posturing and grandstanding without having a truly functioning Congress which actually does a whole lot for the people, even in comparison to say 30 years ago.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court? - masterpanthera_t - 10-27-2020, 04:01 PM