Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Biggest heartbreaking season at mid point?
I still have some optimism for this season, but not really based on the fact we have a lot of close losses.

For example, you can say we just lost the Chargers game because of a bad call, but the Chargers are a bad team who have only won one game since then and they outgained us 362 to 295. So actually we were lucky to even be within one score of winning against a bad team.

We were one play away from winning against the Eagles, 2-4 against everyone else, but we were also one play away from losing that game. And they outgained us 381-304.

Our only win is against the Jags and they are pathetic.

If we did have a .500 record at this point I would actually be thinking we were lucky to be there.

So my optimism is based on things like the fact that Burrow is still just a rookie, and his up-and-down play should continue to trend upward. That is not just a wish, that is a reasonable expectation for any rookie QB.

Our O-line started out bad, and is now mostly back ups. So I don't have much hope for the offense being great, but AJ is returning to form and Tee Higgens is looking great for a 2nd round pick. Mixon is a gifted RB, so we have good skill position players in place.

Defense is a nightmare, I know we have lost a lot of guys to injury, but even at the start of the season when we were healthy we were getting gouged by the run. The only hope here is that rookies like Logan Wilson and Davis-Gaither get better as the season progresses, and that some of the injured players return to form.

Overall I am willing to give Zac and this staff the rest of the season to show marked improvement. But if we just beat a couple of more really bad teams I am not going to be impressed. Zac added a ton of talent to the team since last year. I know we have had injuries, but when you add talent that should mean you have better depth also. That is why good teams deal with injuries better.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biggest heartbreaking season at mid point? - fredtoast - 10-31-2020, 12:26 PM